Thursday, April 14, 2005

Gratitude

In last June, France, joined by other nations, commemorated the 60th anniversary of the D day which led to end WWII. President Chirac of France said in his speech "Thank you USA", and for this I admired him highly. President Chirac set aside many controversial issues between France & US, and showed gratitude for the American help to liberate his country.

Nowadays, it is the 2nd anniversary of kicking Saddam out of power. Still, the Iraqis are not ready to show gratitude to the Americans. I can recall many Iraqis saying, during the last years of Saddam's era, that they would welcome any force who might remove Saddam out of power. Words like "We are ready to accept even the Israelis to free Iraq" are still fresh in my mind.

And suddenly, one can notice some kind of rage against the Americans who freed us, the Iraqis, from Saddam's dictatorship. It is well phrased by Eleanor Roosevelt "Patients are pleased on seeing a doctor, but on recovery they throw stones at him". It seems that the Iraqi patient is going to start throwing stones at his doctor, though it is a very long way to achieve recovery.

Anyhow, I think that we, the Iraqis, should show gratitude to US. As for me, I want to express my condolences to the families of more than 1500 American soldiers who gave their lives to free Iraq, and my admiration to those who were badly injured. Finally, I must thank the American & the British, people & government, for backing the campaign against Saddam. I hope that the impetus to achieve democracy, justice & freedom will increase.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gadfly said...

I would like for our two countries to form a lasting friendship, but there are so many cultural issues -- that will not be likely for some time, I fear. But, as soon as the Democratically led Iraqi army is strong enough to stand on its own, the Americans soldiers will leave.

And Iraqis can dislike Americans all they want -- that is the prerogative of free people.

Live free and build a greater future. That will be thanks enough to repay all the suffering and sacrifice in both of our countries. Millions of Iraqi children growing up in peace, going to school, becoming fine men and women -- learning wisdom from those who lived through darker times -- that is no small thing. That is tribute enough.

That you can show gratitude in such a timultous time is humbling to me. I hope that I could be so gracious in your position. Thank you.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Gadfly said it best: live free and build a beautiful future. That is all that is required.

A true benefactor does not ask for payment in return, not even words of gratitude, though we in turn should gratefully and graciously accept your thanks and condolences.

For me, your blog is repayment enough. To hear your words and see into your heart, into Iraq, gives me the most pleasure and lifts the heart.

Besides, your courage and that of other Iraqis in moving towards freedom and democracy have lit fires in the minds of your fellows in the region. Who could ask for more than that the gift simply be passed on?

Blog on brother, we're with you all the way.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear ibn al rafidaiyn

thanks for your blog. I am an Iraqi living the great USA. I too thanks America and the coalition for freeing us from Saddam. Yes it is true the Iraqis have soon forgotton Saddam and pointing fingers at the Americans. I hate to see my iraqi fellow men act this way. They should blame the fanatics who are blowing up cars and turning the streets of Baghdad into fire zones. I feel for the Iraqis and what they are going through on a daily bases but unless we Iraqis be united we will not find a way. My heart goes out to the families in the USA who have lost a loved one in Iraq and salute the families' sacrifies and not to forget the injured for life. Takecare Ibn Al Rafidain and let us pray that Iraqis will one day appreciate the sacrifies of USA.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the world shrinks, so too, will the animosity....

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home